Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Taglines are DUMB: #12—unadulterated bullshit claim edition.

So Effective You Could Skip A Day
(I often use Mitchum)
This is a retired tagline; Mitchum has since moved on to that banal "Mitchum Man" stuff. But, I could not let this underhanded underarm hooey just evaporate into marketing history. Let me first say, that I am not a big sweater. For a guy, I am relatively clean and non-smelling. Mitchum has worked well for me; at the end of the day, I'm usually in pretty good pit shape. BUT even in the dead of winter, there's no way in Hell ANY deodorant/antiperspirant product is still working a day later. No Fucking Way. What the fuck do we even have an FDA for?
previous taglines are DUMB:
1. THE POWER OF YOU.
2. Expect Everything.
3. Word Hard. Fly Right.
4. the worst car taglines.
5. KOOL. Be True.
6. New York Knicks. Experience IT.
7. LET'S SHVO.
8. Johnnie Walker. Keep Walking.
9. That's Marshall's Law.
10. My favorite dumb tagline ever.

8 Comments:

Blogger Triple talaq said...

I wish my girlfriend's periods were like that too :(

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sadly, when I saw this in the supermarket, I thought it was at least different enough to purchase... pretty easy to shake things up with deodorant -- well, method man and red man aside.

I think you're never going to remember the commercial, but if the packaging can make you stop the eye, you've probably sold a customer..

or i'm just pathetic.. well, they're not mutually exclusive.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is some ambiguity as to what exactly Mitchum allows one to skip. I never took it to mean that you could go a day without applying the deodorant, and surely Mitchum would not want to imply as much. Maybe their claim is that you'll be so fresh-smelling at the end of the day, you needn't bother showering for the next. Just slap on some more Mitchum in the morning, and you can take it the full 48 between actual hygiene.

7:00 PM  
Blogger ricpic said...

Shower twice a day in summer. Problem solved.

7:27 PM  
Blogger The Cajun Boy said...

i concur. i used that deodorant. i could NEVER skip a day.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a guy, and I use 'Secret' because it's 'strong enough for a man' anyway. That, and the 'made for a woman' part makes me feel kind of kinky.

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just came back from Marseille, wher I saw an ad for women's antiperspirant that claimed to keep you dry for 48 hours.

Explains the smell on the Metro.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't comment on Mitchum, but if you use Certain Dry which is a roll on antiperspirant that you put on at night (that's right at night so it gets time to set in) and you've been using it for awhile (like a month straight) you can move to a schedule of like every other day, to every two days without sweating or getting stinky. It is the only anti-perspirant that has ever actually burned when I put it on after shaving (i know, i know you're not supposed to), it's unscented kind of pricey but totally effective.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home